raspberry bread.jpg

What I Bake When I Am Not Blogging

frozen-dried raspberry sourdough

In the last few months I have been quite disengaged from blogging, and I do apologize for been particularly absent from comments here or on friends blogs. It is not always possible to sit down and take the time to answer to all or read others’ posts. Often I read both comments and posts but then something come to interrupt me and I don’t have the chance to write that comment that just formed in my mind.
Sometimes it is even difficult to find the time to bake but I kept baking -even during home renovation/travelling.

sourdough twisted baguette

So I have been baking more than I showed here, and sometimes I took pictures of these breads and wrote down the formulas of the breads I baked.
While reordering my files I have found quite a few of these loaves I have never showed on my personal blog and my request to you is to help me find the motivation to write about these breads. So I ask you, which of these breads would you like to know more about?

UNPUBLISHED LOAVES

Raspberry Sourdough, or pink bread, as I called it. The color is given by the addition of frozen and dried raspberries
frozen-dried raspberry sourdough

Crusty semolina-wheat sourdough, fermented almost entirely in the fridge, very handy when one does not have time. With this same dough I made a twisted baguette
sourdough twisted baguette

…and some very nice overnight sourdough rolls
1039974_737851939560729_1937189049_o

Mantou with fenugreek. To please a dear Chinese friend I have learned to make her favorite bread buns, made with instant yeast and steamed, I added a special spice to make them also effective in controlling blood glucose levels (my friend’s father has diabetes)
chinese steamed buns

Beetroot sourdough with a 20% (if I remember right) einkorn, it was highly hydrated and extremely light
beetroot sourdoough with einkorn

To these double cream sourdough loaf I added double cream and the bread became incredibly soft, crust included
double cream sourdough

Espresso Sourdough. Coffee can interfere with the development of a sourdough loaf but it gives a lovely shine to the crust
coffee sourdough

I have been also playing with traditional shapes. This comes from Sicilian tradition and it is a semolina bread called Cucciddatu
cucciddatu

And this was my take on a classic French shape, the Couronne Bordelaise, made with a quite dry sourdough dough
sourdough couronne bordelaise

So does any of these breads interest you? And which of them would you like to hear first about? Thank you for reading and for keeping commenting, I’ll do my best to get back at you more timely in 2014.

Shares

Hi there! I am the "soul" behind Bread & Companatico. My main interest is the preservation of bread tradition and craft, with an eye to health. I hope you are having a good time reading this blog, and please don't be shy to connect with me through comments or emails and do keep on bread-ing! ๐Ÿ™‚
  1. Sissy
    Sissy says:

Love the images! I would love to learn more about the overnight sourdough rolls and the twisted baguette with the semolina-wheat. Using the refrigerator is great when time constrained…and the flavors (at least for me) seem a bit better.

2. Peter
    Peter says:

Barbara, I’d love to know more about your overnight sourdough rolls and crusty semolina-wheat sourdough. They look so delicious.Thanks.
    Peter

3. Anthony
    Anthony says:

Hi Barbara…..love the great pics. I particularly like the look of the twisted baguette dough. Very rustic. The espresso levain, is most sexy, like any coffee creation! I’d like to see the crumb of both, if possible. Thanks, ciao Bella!

4. Ralph
    Ralph says:

I would love to earn something about the sourdough rolls ( they look so crusty ๐Ÿ™‚ and the Cucciddatu. I love all kinds of Italian breads and that looks interesting. They all look so good …

5. fuffy1964
    fuffy1964 says:

Tutti?
    io opterei per tutti… se vuoi te li metto in ordine di pubblicazione…..
    tutti, capito Barbara? la domanda diventa NON quale MA quando pubblicare! ah ah ah!!!
    bella sei!
    Sandra

6. ninivepisces
    ninivepisces says:

As mentioned by others I would like to learn about those sourdough rolls, the twisted baguette,the double cream sourdough and the sicilian loaf, of course; this is a great collection!

7. fabiglutenfree
    fabiglutenfree says:

I dare say all of of them! I would never dare to re-make them according to all my withouts , if you know what I mean!
    I love the radiant pink of the cranberry loaf, I love the crust of the espresso loaf. I am still attached to the common yeast, but I love your breads indeed.
    Thanks <3

8. georgiagilmour
    georgiagilmour says:

Sandra, same here, I often just have no time to post… So my answer is obvious – I agree with the previous comments that the overnight/ fridge sourdough recipes would be a great help! Please, share ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Barbara

thank you soooooooooooooooooo much for the enthusiastic feedback. you are the best friends and readers and I am going to find the time to write down these recipes ONLY for you guys ๐Ÿ™‚ Barbara

10. Mona
    Mona says:

Hi Barbara,
    Thank you for all this great pictures ~ they all look so delicious. I think Iโ€™d love to know more about the overnight sourdough rolls and the crusty semolina-wheat sourdough.Thanks for all the work….

11. esther
    esther says:

yes please. yes too all the above! please dont stop blogging!! i love the rasberry loaf. it also incourages me to make some fresh cheese and lactoferment condiment! awesome stuff. thank you!