kale-rolls1.jpg

Cheesy Kale or Tomato? Filled rolls two ways

kale rolls

Filled savory or sweet rolls are a must in Scandinavia and here in Sweden you can find them stuffed with virtually any type of filling. Just use your imagination and you can easily create a new, original, type of filled rolls.

Last winter I made several batches of some lovely kale-cheese rolls. As they have been very popular in my family, I decided to bake them once more for our Pasquetta picnic. To make also the little one of the family happy, I made some very kid-friendly rolls with a tomato filling, which were a hit even with my picky princess. (SCROLL DOWN FOR THE RECIPE)

tomato rolls

SCANDINAVIAN-STYLE ROLLS WITH SAVORY FILLING

Dough

25 g fresh yeast (or 8 g dry instant yeast)

100 g milk

150 g water

2 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon salt

200 g all-purpose flour

200 g white spelt flour

Kale filling

200 g kale*

100 g grated cheese

*I cleaned and then sauteed the kale with salt, pepper, olive oil and 1 clove of garlic.

Tomato filling

100-150 g tomato paste

3-4 tablespoon olive oil

3-4 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese

tomato rolls

Dissolve the yeast in the water and milk, both lukewarm. Add the other liquid ingredients and at last the flours and the salt. Knead for 8 minutes and let rest covered for 45 minutes. Transfer the dough on a floured surface and make it into a rectangular log. Spread the filling on the dough and roll it lengthwise. Cut in small pieces and place them in muffin molds. Let rest, covered, for 45 minutes. Bake at 220 degrees (Celsius) for 8-10 minutes depending on the size of your rolls.

tomato rolls

CONSIDERATIONS: This is as simple as a yeasted recipe can go… you really have not excuse not to make your own savory filled rolls at the first occasion… they are great on festive buffets and they are also good for an easy lunch on the go.

Note: kale filled rolls are based on a Swedish recipe (Jul issue of Mitt Kök)

tomato rolls

Don’t they look like little roses?

kale rolls

Hi there! I am the "soul" behind Bread & Companatico. My main interest is the preservation of bread tradition and craft, with an eye to health. I hope you are having a good time reading this blog, and please don't be shy to connect with me through comments or emails and do keep on bread-ing! 🙂

Latest posts by Barbara Elisi (see all)

1. ninivepisces
    ninivepisces says:

Savory rolls- I do like them very much, they’re so versatile. Simply spread pesto of any kind… yours look so nice, maybe you have more patience for the shaping than me.

2. Julia
    Julia says:

Please join Pinterest. I save all my recipes there and I would love to be able to pin your recipes easily as well.

hi Julia, I am on pinterest, but don’t have time to use it much. BUT I have just added a pin button on each image of the blog, to make it easier for you to save my recipes. thank you for encouraging me to do so!

3. narf77
    narf77 says:

Great idea to add the pin so that busy people can grab and go ;). I LOVE this idea! You could make it with your children as a maths lesson disguised as fun. The fillings are endless and you could use sourdough bread to make them as well as making them gluten free and veganising them as well…wunderbar my girl, Kudos yet again on a most excellent recipe 🙂

hi dedy, nice to meet you. the cupcake molds are needed to keep the rolls in shape otherwise they will spread too much during the rising and baking. ciao!!

4. idity8
    idity8 says:

What a lovely post, gonna try it soon. and you B, it seems that you are blooming 🙂 what a bounty
    I love it. ( And i love the new look too)

5. Rita cooks Italian (@ritacooksitalia)
    Rita cooks Italian (@ritacooksitalia) says:

Cara Barbara per coincidenza ho fatto dei rolls per il mio mercato del Sabato (ho uno stall italiano tutto mio!!!!!!) con dei rolls simili ai tuoi. Io metto anche l’uovo e il burro invece dell’olio nell’impasto. La tua versione Svedese e’ decisamente piu’ salutare!!

6. LGlad
    LGlad says:

Looking forward to making these as well as experimenting with some other fillings! Did you use mini cupcake liners or regular sized ones? If you used the mini ones, did you also use the mini cupcake pan? I don’t have a mini one, but thought I could put the mini liners on a baking dish…

Hi there. I used mini ones for the tomato rolls and regular cupcake liners for the kale rolls. I simply placed them on a baking try, happy baking to you!