pane-di-ceci7.jpg

Pane di Ceci: Chickpea Sourdough Bread

pane di ceci

If I tell you that this loaf is made for 35% of chickpeas… and we all know that chickpeas are full of proteins… could you still say that bread is “empty calories”? This earthy loaf is amazing plain with butter, reminding a bit of hummus. It gets even better with pates and pickles, perfect match for this savory bread.

I also have a cute story to tell about this loaf. Edith, a fellow food blogger which I treasure as a friend and a who’s also a great writer and photographer, got inspired by my chickpea lasagna to buy chickpea flour, but then could not resist to use it in a loaf of bread (I wonder if she ever made that lasagna!). Anyways, she dedicated the bread to me and since then I promised to remake her loaf using sourdough. With that much chickpea flour in it, which contains no gluten whatsoever, I was concerned for a good rise.

As you can see, the bread turned out well and I thank Edith for this great idea to use something nourishing as chickpea flour in a loaf of bread. That’s what friends are for, isn’t it? (SCROLL DOWN FOR THE RECIPE)

CHICKPEAS SOURDOUGH LOAF

430 g mature 100% sourdough starter

300 g chickpea flour

560 g bread flour

520 g water

3 teaspoon marine salt

Mix all together except the salt. Let rest covered for half hour then knead for 5-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 3-4 hours (depending of your kitchen temperature) and make folds every now and then during the first 2 hours. Shape as you prefer. I made one large round and a small batard. Place the loaves seam side up in 2 heavily floured rising baskets and place each of them in a plastic bag, sealed. Proof for a couple of hours. Preheat the oven to maximum heat and invert the loaves on a hot baking dish or on a hot baking stone with the help of a baker’s peel. Create steam as you like (I usually throw a few ice cubes in the lower rack of the oven). Bake for 30 minutes at high temperature and then reduce gradually until the loaves look ready.

pane di ceci

I am entering this bread into the new biweekly showcase of breads PANISSIMO which I am hosting together with Sandra. You can find participation rules here.

I am also sending this bread to Zorra’s blog warming party to celebrate her new website (would have liked to send something more festive but did not have it at hand).

And… of course I am sending the bread to Susan and her amazing weekly bread collective YeastSpotting.

Shares

Hi there! I am the "soul" behind Bread & Companatico. My main interest is the preservation of bread tradition and craft, with an eye to health. I hope you are having a good time reading this blog, and please don't be shy to connect with me through comments or emails and do keep on bread-ing! 🙂
  1. Alida
    Alida says:

Ma che delizia cara Barbara! Un pane molto nutriente e pieno di gusto.
    Mi piace molto il tuo contest. Ti ho mandato la mia ultima ricetta della brioche. Brave sorelline! Molto inventive.
    Un saluto e buona Pasqua!
    Ciao

2. edith pilaff
    edith pilaff says:

Wow! ho appena scoperto il tuo blog leggendo Sandra.Nonostante io sia “useless” con I lievitati,sono una delle mie passioni.Avro’ un bel po’ da leggere qui….
    Buona Pasqua!

ciao cara, sono sicura che non sei “useless” e aspetto con trepidazione di ricevere un tuo lievitato per la raccolta. grazie mille per la visita e buona settimana!

thank you Georgia for letting me know! and feel free to send pictures of the baby 🙂 so smart to use pea flour… did it give a greenish color to the loaf? that would be so interesting! ciao

• georgiagilmour
        georgiagilmour says:

I’m preparing a post with a link to your recipe, there will be photos of the bread – now that I look at the photos, the colour seems totally regular-brown, although when the bread got drier the pea flavour got intensified!

wow. just now I see the link to your blog and… I love it! a lazy perfectionist, that could be my motto too 🙂 and those chocolaty breads? I am all over them, I will be a follower! looking forward to your chickpea bread post. ciao!!

3. Pam
    Pam says:

Amazing! Looks great 🙂 I’m just about to bake a 100% sourdough loaf using chickpea flour and had heard that anything above 10% would not turn out that well due to the very distinctive taste. I’d love to use more chickpea flour in the bread though – how would you describe the taste of your bread using 35%? Greetings, Pam x

it tasted like hummus! and I loved it. it is a bread that goes great with savory accompaniments, like pickled veggies or yummy savory spreads. and cheese of course.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] Pea Sourdough Loaf (Pane di Ceci Piselli) adapted from http://www.myitaliansmorgasbord.com – will make – simply – one of the best sourdough bread recipes I’ve tried […]

2. […] Pane di Ceci: Chickpea Sourdough Bread […]