Sockerbullar, Pariserbullar Or… Bomboloni Al Forno!

A few weeks ago I was honored with the prize “Premio Cake Blog Di Qualita'” (cake prize for a quality blog). The prize is given by another blogger who received it earlier. I got mine from Uno Scoiattolo In Dispensa – The Pantry Squirrel, a lovely girl based in Edinburgh who writes a food blog in both Italian and English.

Our Squirrel explicitly asked for something Swedish and sweet. It took me a while to get the right inspiration and find the right recipe, but here we are. I re-discovered a Swedish pastry that I truly can relate to, something that is not as common as Kanelbullar (Swedish cinnamon rolls) but that totally blew my head off the one time I had them. I am talking of Sockerbullar (socker=sugar; bullar=buns). They remind me  of bomboloni alla crema, sweet buns loaded with butter and eggs, filled with custard, and covered with sugar. The only difference, which makes Sockerbullar just a tiny bit healthier, is that bomboloni are deep fried while the Swedish equivalent is baked.

As I found out, another name for these sinful buns is Pariserbullar, buns from Paris (go figure why). I was pleased to find a detailed method for sockerbullar the old-fashioned way (gammaldags) in Jan Hedh’s compendium on bread and sweet breads (Bröd och Kaffebröd), a great reference. Indeed, when a Swedish friend saw the thick volume, he proudly affirmed “you don’t need any other book, Hedh is the best baker in Sweden”. So I tested my understanding of Swedish and went through the recipe, constantly wondering if I read the text right. Judging from the outcome, I would give myself an B++ (in Swedish and maybe an A- in baking?). And here comes the sudata translation together with my personal tips.

GAMMALDAGS SOCKERBULLAR (from Jan Hedh, Bröd & Kaffebröd)

You need

Pre-ferment (Fordeg): 500 g milk, 75 g fresh yeast (18 g if instant-dried), 25 g caster sugar, 600 g all-purpose flour (I used organic, 200 g bread flour+400 all-purpose).

Vanilla Custard (Vaniljkräm): 1 vanilla pod, 500 g milk, 6 egg yolks, 125 g caster sugar, 40 g cornstarch, 25 g butter.

Final Dough (Bortgörning): 200 g butter, 150 g caster sugar, 25 g vanilla-flavored confectioner’s sugar, 5 egg yolks, 600 g all-purpose flour (I used organic, 200 g bread flour+400 all-purpose).

How to

Pre-Ferment (Fordeg):  Dissolve the  yeast in the milk mixed with the sugar. Add the flour and knead by machine for 5-6 minutes at low-speed (or for 10 minutes by hand). Let rest covered for 30-45 minutes.

Vanilla Custard (Vaniljkräm): This is better done while the pre-ferment rests (or even the day before). Divide the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrap the inner flesh into the a pot with the milk. Let cook until almost boiling, then put aside and let cool. Whip the egg yolks with the sugar and then add the flour. When the milk is only slightly warm (and not hot) pour it over the egg mixture and whip. Return to the stove, add the butter, and cook on low heat until thickened. Make sure that the custard is not hot when filling the buns.

Final Dough (Bortgörning): Pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees (Celsius). Add all the ingredients of the final dough to the pre-ferment, except the butter. Knead for 5-6 minutes at low-speed by machine (or 10 minutes by hand). Add the butter, in small pieces, and work for further 10 minutes at medium-low speed (or 15-20 minutes by hand). Let rest, covered, in an oiled container for 30 minutes. Turn the dough on a flowered surface and divide in 4 pieces. Make sure to cover the pieces you are not using, so they won’t dry. Divide each piece in 7-10 parts. Each piece should weight 60 g (according to Hedh), but I like them a little bigger, so mine weighted 65-75 g. Gently flatten each piece with a rolling-pin without deflating too much the dough. Each piece has to look like a little square. Pour some custard (1 or 1/2 tea-spoon) on each square and seal the ends of the square, making it into a round. Lay the buns on baking dishes, covered with baking paper. Leave enough space in between buns. Bake for 4-5 minutes at 250 degrees and for further 4-5 minutes at 220 degrees. While still hot, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with caster sugar. They are better served warm.

CONSIDERATIONS: This recipe yields about 30 buns, so you may want to halve the doses. Or, you can do like me, and use part of the dough to make a braid. Really nice with coffee.
And the winners are… and now, I will give the prize to three other bloggers:

Pamela from Spoon Feast, because she writes the most instructive and mind-changing food posts ever;

Euan from Signor Biscotti, because this British man can really bake (even Italian classics);

Kim from Foodin New England, for all the amazing cooking and baking achievements of these years.

7 (+2) Sweets that changed my life:

And to finish, as a winner, I have to mention 7 sweet things that changed my life… oh my, I could only go down to a minimum of 9!

Gelato al tartufo (chocolate truffle ice cream)/Gelato ai pinoli (Pine nuts ice cream), ex equo

Pastarelle (Italian eclair)

Salame di cioccolato (chocolate salami)/Dolce di crema e biscotti oro saiwa (custard-biscuits pudding), ex-equo

Crostata alla frutta (Italian fruit pie)

Mont blanc (chestnut-meringue French dessert)

Bomboloni alla crema

Chocolate Croissant/Chocolate Belgian Waffles, ex-equo

and which were yours?

Submitted to YeastSpotting

Prima di tutto, grazie mille ad Anna ed Ornella ideatrici di Quanti Modi Di Fare e Rifare, che in febbraio rifaranno i miei sockerbullar. I sockerbullar, anche chiamati pariserbullar, sono una ricetta tipica della tradizione svedese e sono i miei lievitati svedesi preferiti, forse perche’ mi ricordano tanto i bomboloni che da “brava” ragazza romana andavo a prendere all’alba appena sfornati quando tiravamo tardi (eh si, bei tempi!). Il metodo e’ adattato dal libro di Jan Hedh, il panettiere svedese piu’ famoso dei nostri tempi, una vera autorita’ in fatto di lievitati.

(traduzione in italiano a cura di Anna e Ornella – visto che io in questo periodo sono impicciatissima – grazie mille!)

500g di latte

75g di lievito di birra (18g di lievito essiccato)

25g di zucchero semolato

600g di farina (io ho usato 200g farina di forza e 400g di farina 00)

Nella planetaria sciogliere il lievito con il latte e lo zucchero. Aggiungere la farina ed impastare a bassa velocità per 5~6 minuti (o per 10 minuti a mano). Far lievitare coperto per 30~45 minuti.

Crema alla vaniglia

1 baccello di vaniglia

500g di latte

6 tuorli d’uovo

125g di zucchero semolato

40g di amido di mais

25g di burro

E’ meglio farla nell’intervallo tra i due impasti (ma va bene anche il giorno prima). Dividere il baccello di vaniglia e raschiarne i semi, unirli al latte e far bollire. Tenere da parte a raffreddare. Montare i tuorli con lo zucchero, quindi aggiungere la farina e mescolare per farla assorbire. Quando il latte sarà diventato tiepido, versarlo nel composto di uova, zucchero, farina e sbattere con la frusta. Mettere sul fuoco ed aggiungere il burro, cuocere a fuoco lento fino ad addensarlo. La crema non deve essere calda quando si farcisce l’impasto.

Impasto finale

Tutto il preimpasto

200g di burro

150g di zucchero semolato

25g di zucchero a velo vanigliato

5 tuorli d’uovo

600g di farina (io ho usato 200g farina organica e 400g di farina per tutti gli usi)

Preriscaldare il forno a 250°C. Nella planetaria aggiungere al preimpasto tutti gli ingredienti eccetto il burro, impastare a bassa velocità per 5~6 minuti (o per 10 minuti a mano). Unire il burro a piccoli pezzi, e far impastare per altri 10 minuti a velocità medio-bassa (o per 15~20 minuti a mano). Lasciar lievitare per 30 minuti in una ciotola appena unta d’olio. Travasare l’impasto sul piano di lavoro infarinato e dividere in 4 pezzi, prendere un pezzo e coprire gli altri con una ciotola capovolta per non far formare la crosta. Dividere il pezzo in 7~10 parti di 60g circa ma i miei erano di 65~75g circa perche’ a me i bomboloni piacciono grandi. Stendere con il matterello ogni parte senza far sgonfiare l’impasto, mettere un cucchiaino di crema al centro, chiudere bene i bordi ed arrotondare. Allineare i bomboloni in una teglia ricoperta da carta forno, distanziandoli perché in cottura aumentano di volume. Cuocere per 4~5 minuti a 250°C e per altri 4~5 minuti a 220°C. Estrarli dal forno, spennellarli con burro fuso e cospargere con zucchero semolato. Appena sfornati sono veramente irresistibili.

Hi there! I am the "soul" behind Bread & Companatico. My main interest is the preservation of bread tradition and craft, with an eye to health. I hope you are having a good time reading this blog, and please don't be shy to connect with me through comments or emails and do keep on bread-ing! :)
  1. Spoon Feast
    Spoon Feast says:

Wow, What nice buns! I’ll have to try these out, they look delicious.
    I am honored for the award, what is it I have to do?
    I love the shot of the bun with the cake plate in the background, great picture!
    Thank you.

2. Kim Forni
    Kim Forni says:

Hee hee @ Spoon Feast comment. :) I have to agree, I love your buns! The photo with the custard … ooohhh…woman, I see the little vanilla bean flecks..
    I am so honored that you chose me for this! i know my sweets won’t be as fancy as yours but I will try my best :)

haha… gelato al tartufo di cioccolato… nothing to do with the mushrooms. you know, chocolate truffles, the fudgy stuff…. made into ice-cream.

3. Euan
    Euan says:

My partner has more or less instructed me to make these buns! Not that I’m objecting: they look like they might go straight to the top of my list of 7 sweet things. Thank you very much for the award. I am touched and honoured that you thought of me.

4. Ornella
    Ornella says:

Ai bomboloni non so resistere, mi piacciono troppo! Ho provato a farli al forno con risultati a dir poco disastrosi..I tuoi sembrano stupendi, perfetti come quelli fritti! E golosi da morire..Baci

• admin
      admin says:

non riesco immaginare un disastro nella tua cucina. le foto dei tuoi bomboloni fritti mi hanno ispirato nel fare questa versione svedese al forno. grazie.

5. Federica
    Federica says:

Dire che ti sono venuti una meraviglia, golosissimo con quel cuore di crema, è poco. E la cotturaal forno me li fa piacere ancora di più :) Complimenti per il premio, bacioni

6. ritacooksitalian
    ritacooksitalian says:

Great to discover your website! I love bomboloni and yours look really inspiring (non superero’ mai la prova costume!). My husband is Danish but we moved to London 10 years ago. I still bake rugbrød and on Sunday we enjoy the Smørrebrød.

Danish? yum… they are famous for their pastries and bread indeed. so glad to discover yours as well! (ma sei magrissima, beata, altro che prova costume!)

7. Connie
    Connie says:

These looks delicious! I put them on my list of “breads and sweets to bake”. We love custard and these healthier version of the fried ones sounds great. Congratulation on your well deserved prize!

8. Barbara

hi Connie, thank you! so nice to see you here. If you try the recipe please let me know how did you like them!

9. Ivy
    Ivy says:

Thank Barbara for passing from my other blog and liking my starter for bread. These look delicious and would love to try them when the starter is ready.

10. Erin @ Texanerin Baking
    Erin @ Texanerin Baking says:

I saw your comment on The Baltic Maid and immediately came over here! I’ve lived in Sweden twice, and I absolutely love it, and I’m obsessed with all things Italian at the moment. I love every post I’ve read so far!

Congratulations on your award. It appears to be much deserved!

I love sockerbullar and these are the most perfect ones I’ve ever seen. Yummy! I love that you write in English and Italian in a lot of your posts. I just started taking Italian classes so I’m super excited by this. :)

I’m flattered thank you. this was the first time I made sockerbullar and, yes, it was a lucky bake. so interesting that you traveled so much and can speak so many languages!

11. Cuochina
    Cuochina says:

Buongiorno Barbara!
    Le nostre Cuochine sono ansiose di provare a rifare la tua bellissima, ghiotta ricetta :-) Saresti così gentile di tradurla in italiano il più presto possibile? Grazie mille un abbraccio

12. anna
    anna says:

Carissima Barbara, in verità noi (io e Ornella) facciamo tutto insieme. La traduzione non è solo farina del mio sacco :))
    Ma siamo felici di averti dato una mano, tra le quantiste è una cosa che succede spesso :)
    Un abbraccio e non vediamo l’ora di mettere le mani nella pasta di questo slurposo dolce svedese.
    Buone feste

13. sandra
    sandra says:

E allora questo mese non posso mancare! ora parto subito con questi bomboloni stupendi!
    ho già acceso il forno e messo in moto il neurone: è un po’ stranito dall’essere chiamato in causa (è abituato a fare la bella vita lui!) ma ora comincia a funzionare!
    baci topolino!

14. Lu.C.I.A.
    Lu.C.I.A. says:

Sono una nuova “quantista”… e dato che questa ricetta mi piace davvero troppo, voglio proprio provarla… Però mi sembrano un pò eccessive le dosi… sai, noi siamo solo in due… hai detto nella ricetta che dividi l’impasto finale in 4 panetti e da ogni panetto ricavi 7/10 bomboloni… ecco, a noi basterebbe quel panetto :-) Se io divido per 4 tutti gli ingredienti ottengo lo stesso risultato? Oppure, in alternativa, i restanti panetti posso congelarli??? Aspetto una risposta… e poi mi metto all’ opera!!!

ciao Lucia e benvenuta. assolutamente: dividi tutto per 4 e andra’ benissimo. La crema puoi semplicemente dimezzarla: quella si che si surgela facilmente in caso avanzasse (la mia e’ scomparsa in un nanosecondo). un bacio

• Lu.C.I.A.
        Lu.C.I.A. says:

Perfetto… ho già iniziato a farli… ho usato davvero pochissimo lievito ed ovviamente allungato i tempi di lievitazione…. vediamo se vengono bene….
        Solo un’ ultima cosa… se uso la marmellata… o la nutella vale lo stesso? AHAHAHAH (mi sono accorta che sono senza uova…. e ormai ho già iniziato…)

15. Tamara Giorgetti
    Tamara Giorgetti says:

ciao Barbara i tuoi bomboloni sono stupendi, portati in tavola e finiti, sono arrivata all’ultimo momento, anzi oltre l’ultimo momento, ho avuto dei problemi e li ho fatti ieri pomeriggio, non ho scritto neppure il post, ho messo solo il link che rimanda alla tua pagina, un abbraccio

16. Adri
    Adri says:

I’ve only just discovered your truly wonderful site, having come from La casa di Artu. I adore bomboloni, but the deep frying makes it a bit of a chore. I am SO pleased to discover this method. Grazie! And congratulations on a truly lovely site.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] soluzione per la colazione o per la merenda dei nostri bimbi. La ricetta è di Barbara e nel suo blog troverete un sacco di belle […]

2. […] una scusa per mangiarne magari due o tre senza sentirsi in colpa.La ricetta è di Barbara e nel suo blog troverete un sacco di belle […]

3. […] a capirci…. Sockerbullar è ciò che ha ispirato questa idea ed è il blog svedese My Italian Smorgadsborg che propone la ricetta del mese per Quanti modi di fare e rifare, il contest che raccoglie i […]

4. […] cioè i Bomboloni al forno di Barbara del blog “My Italian smorgasbord”. […]

5. […] con l’iniziativa di Quanti modi di fare e rifare siamo andati in Svezia da Barbara per fare i Sockerbullar(socker = zucchero; bullar = panini). Sono dei panini con la crema, ricoperti di zucchero, molto […]

6. […] have met some amazing people like Barbara in Sweden who writes My Italian Smorgasbord and Celia at Fig Jam and Lime […]

7. […] My Italian Smorgasbord – I love her adventures with bread […]

8. […] dear friend Barbara at My Italian Smorgasbord, surprised me with this lovely […]