Most Chocolaty Ever Torta Caprese

So this was my birthday cake. And, as usual, I made it myself. Not that I had to, but I wanted to. An excuse for baking? Yes, please, I am digging in it. This year, I felt like something super chocolaty and I thought first of making a Sacher Torte. You don’t know what a Sacher Torte is? A popular movie director once said of someone not knowing about Sacher Torte “oh well, let’s go on like this, let’s continue martyrizing ourselves”. I did not want to martyrize myself, so I went for the Italian equivalent of Sacher Torte, Torta Caprese, originally from the Island of Capri, just outside of Naples.

What is special about Torta Caprese is that there is no flour in it. And the amazing moistness of the cake is all due to a happy combination of almonds, dark chocolate, eggs, sugar and butter…. mmmmmm… let’s see how I did mine.

TORTA CAPRESE

You need: 300 g dark chocolate, 300 g peeled almonds, 6 eggs, 150 g caster sugar, 3 table-spoon powdered sugar, 2 tea-spoon vanilla extract, 2 table-spoon cocoa powder, 180 g butter, 1/2 tea-spoon baking powder, a pinch of salt. More powdered sugar to garnish.

How To: Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees (Celsius) and grease a baking pan. Grind the almonds very finely in a food processor. Put aside. Grind the chocolate and add to the ground almonds. Add the cocoa powder and the baking powder and combine. In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks with the caster sugar. Add the melted butter, cooled off, and the vanilla extract. Combine the egg yolks mixture with the chocolate/almond mixture. In a separate bowl whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt and the powdered sugar until fluffy and firm. Incorporate gently to the rest of the batter and mix with a table-spoon (with a bottom up movement). Pour the mixture into the greased baking pan and bake for 40-45 minutes (until the cake looks firm). Let cool off well before serving, sprinkled with abundant powdered sugar.

CONSIDERATIONS: Did I like it? What do you think… holy yum yes! This was possibly the most chocolaty and gooey chocolate cake I have ever had and I am very happy of how tall it came out, even without the addition of flour and with only a pinch of baking powder. Almost impossible not to have too much, but today is my birthday right? What was your favorite birthday cake ever?

Hi there! I am the "soul" behind Bread & Companatico. My main interest is the preservation of bread tradition and craft, with an eye to health. I hope you are having a good time reading this blog, and please don't be shy to connect with me through comments or emails and do keep on bread-ing! 🙂

Latest posts by Barbara Elisi (see all)

1. unoscoiattoloindispensa
    unoscoiattoloindispensa says:

uao, gorgeous indeed! and happy birthday 🙂
    I think the one thing I like to make for my birthday is a cardamom pannacotta my sister made for me when i was coming over for christamas. I loved it so much I’ve been making it for my birthday (and for friends’ birthdays too 🙂 they didn’t complain)

2. Pia
    Pia says:

Well, well, well!!! I couldn’t agree more…that cake is gorgeous and look so moist. It’s interesting sans the flour it still is tall. Good job, bday celebrant! Happy birthday again! 😉

3. cityhippyfarmgirl
    cityhippyfarmgirl says:

Oh Buon Compleanno a te!! What a gorgeous looking cake to make for yourself as well, (I really look forward to making my own cake as I can always make EXACTLY what I feel like.)
    Hope your day was lovely Barbara.

4. Spoon Feast
    Spoon Feast says:

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Barbara, Happy Birthday to you! (add music)
    Great cake, I am going to try this one this weekend. I bet it would be delicious with berries too.
    I make birthday pies for my birthday. maybe this year it will be this cake.

5. Veronica
    Veronica says:

I don’t want to martyrize myself either, I’d better make this! The cool thing is that I make some flourless chocolate cookies with almost the same ingredients that I have won 1st place for in the state fair for the past two years. They are also very fudgy so I know I’d love this as a cake!

Favorite birthday cake ever…the cake my Dad made me when I was like 10. It was my only birthday cake as a child since we didn’t celebrate birthdays, but that morning I woke up to find he’d made me a white confetti cake for my birthday. I really felt special that day and it is a fond memory. I don’t believe either of my sisters ever got cakes until we were grown and I started making them. It was also tres delicious! 🙂

• My Italian Smörgåsbord (Aka Barbara)
      My Italian Smörgåsbord (Aka Barbara) says:

yum, then I would have loved your cookies too! isn’t it amazing how many things can be done even without flour?

so sweet your story of the confetti cake, thank you for sharing! I bet your sisters were super happy when you started to bake their b-day cakes… what a cool big sister!

xox

6. Erin @ Texanerin Baking
    Erin @ Texanerin Baking says:

I made a white chocolate version of Torta Caprese recently and it was delicious! I need to try the original too. Do you suppose almond meal would work just as well as grinding them myself in the blender? I don’t remember ever seeing almond meal in Sweden, but I probably never looked. Your cake looks absolutely beautiful!

a white chocolate torta caprese? wow! have to check that one. I guess almond meal could work just fine, the concept is the same. thank you for the nice compliment!

• Erin @ Texanerin Baking
        Erin @ Texanerin Baking says:

Thanks for the reply! My oven’s broken but I want to try this after I have a working oven again. I’ll use almond meal and let you know how it works. 🙂 Oh and you couldn’t even really taste the white chocolate. I was kind of sad about that but it was still super delicious. I’ll probably post it next week!

7. Kate
    Kate says:

Barbara

Since I cannot have gluten or dairy, my range of dietary-friendly cake recipes is quite slim. I usually make a variation of Julia Child’s Reine de Seba with almond oil or a fragrant olive substitution for the butter and it comes out lovely every time.
    But I think I’ve found another recipe that will work just fine for me. How I love a rich chocolate cake! I read your entry over your mother’s Petit Buerre and how she must have a breakfast cookie. I find myself a tad more extravagant for my breakfast choices. Either a simple cookie with my tea or I must have a healthy heaping slice of cake to make the world a better place.

So glad to have a newfound blog to read!

Kate

Kate, so glad I have a new interesting person like you to share cooking ideas with!
      I agree, a sweet breakfast sometimes is what one need to reconcile with the world and start the day. Let me know how the cake comes out.
      Reine de Sable? so interesting, I will check it out. I have her books but I seldom use them, good excuse to open them!
      I am actually planning a gluten-free version of the petit beurre, stay tuned!
      ciao, Barbara